Pip Fragility

Img_20111003_152054

One of the problems I kept facing with my design was pip fragility.  The tiny images of dice at the bottom of the Catan pips would often break, and I would then have to throw the whole pip in the trash.  The way etching works, the images are composed of very thin walls and columns.  Tiny.  The size of lead in a mechanical pencil.

So one of the experiments I did was to, before sanding them, apply a generous amount of polyurethane, just using a small paintbrush to put droplets of poly right inside each die image.

This worked ok, but I had to wait overnight before sanding.  Other progress I made on the masking methods and in tweaking the design for less fragility and more legibility have made the poly drop treatment unnecessary.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in boardgame engineering. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s