Miracle on 5th St


Pictured above is a Wood tile with tape peeled off around the borders and of half the treestump detail. You can see where one treestump looks more orange and the other more white.

Notice I didn't say "and sanded".

Over the past couple days, I've been doing an experiment.  On the advice of a fellow TechShop member, I tried using the orbital sander on my plank before doing the laser cutting.  On this example, I used 400 grit paper beforehand.  This really improves the adhesion the contact paper (masking tape) gets against the wood.  When etching this piece, there were none of the tiresome pull-aways I'm used to.  When I pulled off the tape, the surface of the wood was completely unmarred.

Usually I would spend 15-30 minutes per tile sanding the orange areas off.  But with this new technique, this tile can go from the laser bed, to demasking, and straight to varnish.

This entry was posted in boardgame engineering. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s